Bicol Express Recipe
Bicol Express is a popular Filipino dish which originated from the Bicol region. It is a stew made from long chillies, coconut milk, shrimp paste or stockfish, onion, garlic and pork. It is said to have evolved from gulay na may lada, another Bicolano dish which is nowadays also presented as one of the many variants of Bicol Express.
- 1/4 cup Cooking oil
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 tbsp Dilao (fresh tumeric)
- 1 kg pork sliced into strips
- 1 1/2 tbsp hot chilli (siling labuyo), chopped
- 1 1/2 cup Bagoong alamang (shrimp paste)
- 6 cup Coconut cream
- 2 cup Fresh hot green peppers (elongated variety) sliced to 1/4″ strips
- 1 1/2 Fresh red peppers (elongated)
- 1 cup Baguio beans
- In a bowl of water with salt, soak chili peppers for 30 minutes then rinse and strain.
- In a cooking pan, heat cooking oil and brown sliced pork for a few minutes.
- In another pan, sauté minced garlic and onion.
- Add to the sauté the browned pork.
- Then add the coconut milk, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chili peppers, Baguio beans and cook until dish gets a little dry.
- Add the coconut cream and simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Salt to taste. Serve hot!