Bulalo (Beef Stew) Recipe
“Bulalo” is a popular Filipino dish. The best part of it is the marrow. Although, its hard to pull out but when you managed to tapped it out, “Wow, it’s great!” This dish is extremely superb when served hot. The hot flavorful broth and the meat is really a great treat. I prefer it served with chili and lemon juice and patis (fish sauce).
- 2 lbs marrow bones cut to expose marrow
- 1 lb beef shank with meat
- 1 onion quartered
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 Tbs patis (fish sauce)
- salt to taste
- 2 cobs of corn cut into 1.5″ segments
- 1 pechay or cabbage
- In a large pot with water, place the beef shanks, the marrow bones, onion, garlic, salt and peppercorns and bring to a boil. Remove scums that rise above the soup.
- Add the corn and potatoes. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Add pechay or cabbage shortly before serving.
- Serve hot!!!