COOKING CALAMARES (SQUID)
- 1 kg squid, cut into rings
- 1/2 kg (about 4 cups) flour
- 1 liter (4 cups) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Clean the squid by removing the heads, tentacles, ink bags, fins and skin. Wash them thoroughly under running water, drain them.
- Cut the squid into 5 mm 1/4 inch rings. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan or deep fryer, heat oil. If you have a thermometer, heat the oil to 180C/350F.
- While the oil is heating, mix the flour, cayenne, paprika and salt in a large bowl.
- Drop in the individual pieces of squid and coat thoroughly with the flour mixture.
- Dip the floured squid into the beaten egg and then carefully drop into the hot oil.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oil and briefly drain on paper towels before serving with the garlic and lemon mayonnaise.
- Serve hot.