CHICKEN BINAKOL RECIPE
Chicken Binakol, according to Inquirer Lifestyle, is one of Iloilo’s famous soups. It is traditionally cooked in bamboo segments, but it can also be cooked in a casserole as well.
The base of coconut juice makes this an unusual soup, being rather sweet instead of savory. Once the soup is fully cooked, the strips of coconut flesh will resemble short noodles, adding richness and texture to the dish.
For the coconut meat and juice:
- 4-5 whole young coconuts (see tips)
For the chicken:
- 1 k chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stems lemongrass
- 1 chicken broth cube
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 carrots, cubed (optional)
- 1 bell pepper, cut into strips (optional)
Prepare the coconuts:
- Pour the juice from the coconuts into a large bowl and measure enough to make 6 cups. Scrape out the flesh from 3 of the coconut shells. Set aside.
Cook the chicken:
- In a large casserole, put the chicken, onion, lemongrass and chicken broth cube. Pour in the prepared 6 cups of coconut juice and the coconut meat. Bring to a boil and simmer until chicken is tender, around 20-25 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. If using carrots and bell pepper, add them during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Transfer to a soup tureen or ladle into individual soup bowls.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.