ESCAROLE SOUP WITH TURKEY MEATBALLS RECIPE
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 eggs, beaten to mix
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 head escarole (about 1/2 pound), leaves washed well and chopped (about 1 quart)
- 1 1/2 quarts canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a medium bowl, mix together the turkey, eggs, garlic, onion, bread crumbs, Parmesan, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and the black pepper until thoroughly combined. Shape the mixture into twenty meatballs.
- In a large frying pan, heat 11/2 tablespoons of the oil over moderate heat. Add half the meatballs to the pan and cook, turning, until browned on all sides, about 3 minutes. Remove the meatballs from the pan and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining 11/2 tablespoons oil and the rest of the meatballs.
- Put all of the meatballs, the escarole, broth, water, vinegar, red-pepper flakes, and the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt in a large pot. Cover and bring to a simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally. The meatballs should be cooked through by the time the broth comes to a simmer.