How To Cook Pocherong Manok?
Pocherong Manok or Chicken Pochero is considered as one of the Philippines most favorite dish. Main ingredient can be chicken, pork, beef or even fish. Pochero is a tomato based stew with cabbage, potato, carrots, green beans and saba (banana). Some put hotdogs and chili for an added twist but is optional depending on your personal preference.
Due to its popularity, pochero was always present in every celebration. It is also popular during cold season because it is a bit soupy and rich in flavor and taste and can easily makes you warm specially if its cooked a bit spicy. Filipinos prefer chicken over beef or pork due to its healthier benefits to the body noting also the presence of many vegetables thus it is so satisfying and healthier to eat.
Pocherong Manok is also easy to prepare and cook. You just need to tenderize the chicken which only need a few minutes then add the vegetables, simmer a few minutes, pour in the tomato sauce, some salt and pepper to taste, simmer again and in a few minutes, it is ready to serve. Combine it with a hot cup of rice and some fruit of the season, then your meal of the day was considered solved.
Here’s the step by step guide on how to cook pocherong manok:
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 kg chicken, cut into serving portions
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, quartered
- 1 medium carrot, peeled & sliced into 1/4 inch- rounds
- 100 g chicharo or Baguio beans
- 1 head cabbage, sliced
- 1 small pack tomato sauce
- Heat cooking oil and sauté garlic, onions and tomatoes.
- Add chicken, seasonings to taste and 4 cups water.
- Bring to boil; lower heat. Simmer for 15 minutes, then add potatoes and carrot.
- Add tomato sauce and continue simmering until cooked, adding beans and cabbage last.
- Sprinkle top with spring onions just before serving.