Earn Money Making Siomai
“Siomai” is a traditional Chinese dumpling served in dim sum. Its filling is a combination of seasoned ground pork, whole and chopped shrimp, and Chinese black mushroom in small bits. The outer covering is made of a thin sheet of lye water dough. The center is usually garnished with an orange dot, made of roe or diced carrot. Although a green dot made with a pea may also be used. The decorative presentations vary from restaurant to restaurant.
- 400 g ground pork
- 3/4 cup shelled shrimp
- 1 pc. carrot
- 1 pc. onion
- 2 stalks spring onions
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp chinese wine
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 eggs
- wanton wrapper (100 pcs)
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup soya oil
For the filling:
- In a bowl, place the ground pork and shelled shrimp.
- Peel and grate carrot, squeeze out water and add to the pork mixture.
- Chop onion and spring onion and add to the mixture.
- Add in all other ingredients to the pork mixture.
- Mix well until blended.
Molding and Cooking Siomai:
- Place a tsp of the mixture at the center of the wrapper.
- Bring corners to the center and press to make an open top pouch.
- Set one whole green peas on top of each siomai and brush with oil.
- Place in a steamer and steam for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot with soy sauce and calamansi dipping sauce.