LUMPIANG UBOD RECIPE
- 500 g. of ubod
- 250 g. of lean ground pork
- 2 cups shrimps, shelled, chopped, heads removed
- 250 g. of boneless chicken thighs (skin on)
- 1 whole garlic, minced
- lettuce leaves
- patis (fish sauce)
- freshly ground black pepper & salt to taste
- 2 tbsp of cooking oil
Ingredients for Wrapper:
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 cups of cornstarch
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
Ingredients for Sauce:
- ½ teaspoon of sugar, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, or to taste
- 2 cups of meat stock 1 teaspoon of salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch, or as needed (dissolved in small amount of water)
- 5 large cloves of garlic, finely minced
Procedures for the filling:
- Cut the ubod or the paln spring into matchsticks.
- Cut the chicken into thin slices, thin enough to cook in minutes.
- Boil the ground pork in 2 ½ cups of water, to make meat stock then set aside.
- Heat the oil on a deep pan over medium-low heat.
- Sauté garlic and onion until light brown. Add shrimp, chicken and drained ground pork. Season with patis, pepper and salt and cook over high heat for about 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour the soup stock (step 3). Cover and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add in the ubod strips and simmer over medium-low heat. Stir at regular intervals to make sure that ubod strips are cooked evenly.
- Place the ubod filling in a strainer. Drain well.
Procedures for the Wrapper:
- Combine all the ingredients. Mix well until batter is smooth and creamy.
- Put a Teflon pan over low heat. Pour ¼ cup of egg mixture, must cover all surface of the pan.
- When the edges of the mixture are lifting from the pan, remove by using a pair of flat thongs and spread on lightly-oiled plates.
Procedures for the Sauce:
- In a saucepan, mix together sugar, soy sauce, meat stock (strained in fine sieve), and salt.
- Boil over low heat. Add dissolved cornstarch. Stir in garlic. Simmer until thick.
To assemble the Lumpiang Ubod:
- Lay a wrapper flat on a plate. Place a leave of lettuce on the center of the wrapper.
- Place two tablespoons of filling in the middle of the lettuce.
- Fold the edge nearest you to cover the filling. Take the side edges and fold over the center then roll the entire wrapper.
- Put rolled lumpia on a serving plate, pour sauce and put some garlic on top.
- Serve hot or warm.