SINIGANG NA BABOY RECIPE
Feeling cold, then have this soup in your lunch or dinner menu. This is really great especially during this cold weather. It’s really delicious and satisfying.
- 500 gm boney pork
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp rock salt
- 1-2 green chilis
- 6-8 cups water
- sampaloc (tamarind) puree or souring agent (commercially available packs)
- 1 eggplant, sliced 1 inch thick and quartered
- 1 bunch long string beans (sitaw), cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 taro roots (gabi), peeled and quartered
- spinach leaves or kangkong, washed and plucked from stems
- Combine tomatoes, onion, and rock salt in a big pot. Mix and mash them a little bit. Add chilies (optional) and pork.
- Pour just enough water to cover them and bring to boil. Cook for about 3 minutes. Mash the tomatoes with a cooking spoon.
- Pour in the rest of the water, bring to boil and simmer until pork is tender.
- Add taro, aubergine and string beans(sitaw). Bring to boil and simmer until taro is almost cooked.
- Add the souring agent and spinach (for tamarind puree, use about 1/2 cups). Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Taste soup and adjust seasonings according to your preference.
- Serve hot.