SOUTHWESTERN SHREDDED BEEF SANDWICH
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 1 tbsp. cooking oil
- 2 cups Shredded Beef Master Recipe (see recipe below)
- 1 10-oz. can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (2 ounces)
- 4 onion rolls, split and toasted, if desired
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
Shredded Beef Master:
- Trim fat from a 3 to 3-1/2 pound boneless beef chuck pot roast. If necessary, cut beef to fit a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker.
- Place 2 large onions, cut into thin wedges and 2 cloves garlic, minced in the cooker. Top with beef.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1, 14-ounce can beef broth, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 2 teaspoons dry mustard, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed; 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Pour over beef in cooker. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 11 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5-1/2 to 6 hours.
- Remove beef and onion from cooker, reserving juices.
- Using two forks, shred beef, discarding any fat. Skim fat from juices. Add onion to beef; add enough juices to beef to moisten.
- Place 2-cup portions of beef in airtight containers and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- In a large saucepan, cook onion in hot oil over medium heat about 4 minutes or until tender.
- Add shredded beef, undrained tomatoes, cumin, and chili powder. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until heated through and desired consistency. Stir in cilantro.
- To serve, sprinkle some of the cheese over bottoms of onion rolls.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture over cheese on each bun.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and the shredded lettuce. Add roll tops.