Watermelon and Grapefruit Salad
- 1 whole lemon
- 1 large lemon, juice extracted
- 2 pink grapefruits
- 1/2 small watermelon, peeled, cut into 1.5 cm slices
- 150 g ricotta, drained
- 100 g unrefined sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
- 60 g watercress, stalks removed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Pare the zest from the whole lemon and segmet it by slicing the top and bottom off then slice away the outer skin. Discard the skin and pith and cut between the membranes to free up the segments, then finely chop. Discard the membranes. Peel and segment the grapefruits in the same way but don’t chop. Set aside separately.
Put the watermelon pieces in a large bowl. Add the lemon juice and season well to taste. Set aside to marinate.
- In another bowl, mix the ricotta with half the lemon zest and season.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Put the sugar in a saucepan with 100 ml water and stir over a gentle heat until dissolved. Bring to a boil until syrupy.
- Remove from the heat and immediately stir in the juices from the watermelon. When the dressing is cool, stir in the remaining lemon zest, the finely chopped lemon and the fresh mint.
- To serve, divide the watermelon, grapefruit segments, watercress and red onion between plates. Drizzle with the dressing and dot the lemon ricotta over the top of the salad.
- Serve with crusty bread.